SUMMER SCHOOL OF EARLY IRISH HARP
The Scoil workshops allow for both a theoretical and practical look at subjects relevant to early Irish harp performance.
General workshops are suitable for all, especially beginners or those wishing to find out about a subject area.
Specialist workshops are for those who already have a good knowledge of the area being considered, who wish to explore the subject in more depth.
Subjects covered in previous years include:
- Historical phrasing and articulation
- Singing and playing insular plainchant reading from neumes
- Discovering Gaelic harp repertoire in Renaissance lute tablature
- Reading and interpreting the Bunting harp manuscripts
- Bunting's harp ornamentation tables
- Repertoire in English Renaissance manuscripts
- Ceòl Mór and variation form
- Early baroque figured bass accompaniment and improvisation
- Learning a song from the harper-composers, working from Bunting's manuscript sources
- Advanced study of sean-nós song