SUMMER SCHOOL OF EARLY IRISH HARP
Scoil na gCláirseach* - Summer School of Early Irish Harp is a unique summer school devoted to the early Irish wire-strung harp. Scoil na gCláirseach 2006 took place 19th-25th August at the School of Music, Kilkenny, Ireland. Details for Scoil 2007 will be posted here in the Spring.
Do you want to:
- Play an early Irish harp? This is Irelands illustrious medieval harp strung in brass and sometimes even silver and gold. Played in Ireland from at least 1000 and made famous by harpers such as Ó Catháin and Carolan, it died out in the early 19th century.
- Rediscover the music of the early Irish harpers?
- Study at first hand the surviving sources of their music in early manuscripts and printed sources?
- Become proficient at reconstructing appropriate accompaniments for the melodies?
- Learn medieval playing techniques on replica medieval instruments?
- Research and use sparkling Irish harp melodic ornamentation?
- See, hear, and play replicas of the medieval instrument depicted on the Irish National emblem?
Or are you a more advanced player who would like to continue to improve your early harping skills under the tuition of some of the foremost international teachers, scholars and players of this harp?
If so, then please click here for more information because this is the summer school for you!
Also, for more answers please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
* Scoil na gCláirseach is pronounced